On 2 May 2022, as part of the Green Deal Going Local campaign, the CoR Climate Pact Ambassador and the National Covenant of Mayors Ambassadors will discuss RePowerEU, the new plan to make the European Union independent of Russian gas.
CoR members will be joined by representatives of the European Commission, the Covenant of Mayors Political Board, local and regional authorities, financial experts and climate organisations. The ambassadors from both networks will discuss how to go further and faster in the transition towards secure, affordable and sustainable energy.
Please register your attendance via this link.
The programme will be divided in two events: one in the morning, hosted jointly with the Covenant of Mayors, and a second one in the afternoon, held in conjunction with the Climate Pact Secretariat:
Morning event – Covenant of Mayors boosting the green transition, 10 a.m.-12.30 p.m.
- Opening session – with DG ENER, Covenant of Mayors Political Board and Andris Piebalgs, former European Commissioner for Energy
- Debate on RePowerEU between the European Commission and Covenant and Climate Pact Ambassadors
- Final session – What are local and regional authorities doing to RePower the EU? What do they need to address the current energy crisis in the short and medium term?
Afternoon event – Climate Pact Ambassadors boosting the green transition, 2-5 p.m.
- Opening session – with Clara de la Torre, Deputy-Director General, DG CLIMA and Petr Blížkovský, Secretary General of the European Committee of the Regions
- Session 1: Sharing best practices – with Kata Tüttő, Deputy Mayor of Budapest and ENVE Chair, and Bart Somers, Vice-Minister-President of the Government of Flanders
- Session 2: Tools to accelerate the transition – with DG CLIMA and CINEA
- Session 3: Citizens’ engagement for the green transition
- Final round table, with the Covenant and Climate Pact Ambassadors